Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Thursday, July 8, 2010

My three week US tour

So, I've been in the US for the past week or so, going from city to city seeing friends and family, meeting with potential business partners, and still spending a few hours each day plugging away at the business prep. I am hoping that by mid-September, when school has just started, we will be ready for a "soft opening", meaning that we will have preliminary marketing materials ready, website up, business named, and partners in place and tested. We'll start with friends and family in Shanghai at cost.

This trip, I will be in the following places:

NH - Sarah's folks and brother and sis-in-law and their ultra cute kid Ozzy. Man, NH is beautiful!

Boston - Spent a scorching July 4th with Sarah B and her family up in their place on the water on the North shore. Two kids are doing great and I am amazed how much the little one, Eliza, can talk. Then couple days with my uncle and aunt in Lincoln. Last few days will be staying with my buddy John and his wife in downtown. Was hoping to go diving (even brought some of my gear), but my dive buddy Bill suddenly got busy with work and I'll probably stay dry (sad no lobster diving this time around). Instead, the old dive gang (Bill, John, and Don) will go shooting at the range and then grab dinner. Got to see college buddy Joe before he moves down to NJ. I'm also here for my friend Paul's wedding (after 8 years of engagement!) and did karaoke last night with him and some friends.

Work wise, Sarah and I went to check out the house, moved stuff out of the attic and basement to go up to NH, and cleaned up around the property. After 7 months on the market, we are ready to drop the price if that's what's needed to sell. Selling it for less than we bought it 8 years ago is a bitter pill to swallow, but it's just too painful a process managing from overseas and the longer it sits vacant, the more likely the house will continue to have things happen to it. Bright spot is that our neighbor, the 22yr old punk and part-time pot dealer, has bought a house in Roxbury and will be moving out. FINALLY.

I also visited a well-established environmental company started by a Harvard professor. I was referred to the Harvard professor through a recent grad I met in Shanghai. The company is doing pretty much what we're looking to do, though they are light years ahead. After meeting with two of their folks for about 2 hrs, we agreed that there was a potential partnership or some way of working together. I came back with some ideas and the next step is for us to provide them a concrete business plan, resumes and some references. It's new ground for me and a little bit scary, but also exciting.

New York: Will be taking the Chinatown bus to spend a few days with Isaac and Jaime. Might try and see one or two other old friends.

San Francisco: Last stop on the US tour. Will spend 5 days with brother Loren and finally get to hang out with his darling daughter, possibly the cutest 2 year old in the world. I'll also stay with cousin Lyz, although I'll see her in less than a month in Indonesia. And, will hang out with college roommate Anton. He's one of our regular college pack that does an annual roadtrip. But this year looks like the trip may be in jeopardy, so it will be good that I've been able to see all of them on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment