Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pound of sweat

I've just sent off draft one of content to my web page designer.  I tell you what...I think anyone in marketing should have to go through the process of creating a website -- from layout to content.  The content has taken me the most time -- probably close to 40 pages in content, complete with graphics, photos and source references (of which I am guessing I'll probably want to delete about half for skimmability)  But, the layout has been the hardest.  

Maybe I'm just totally left-brained, but doing the home page mockup kind of left me feeling really drained.  I'm just not creative.

Back to the point -- this whole exercise forces you to think about who your customers are, why they give a rat's ass about your website, products, and services, and forces you to prioritize.  It was actually a really useful process.

Let's see what the designer thinks though...

In other news, got intern #1 working, who although he's an undergrad senior, seems to be pretty sharp.  Nice not to be a one-man band anymore.  Two other master's candidates, both at Jiaotong's Environmental Studies dept, to call up tomorrow.  I like how some Chinese students put their photos on their resumes.  In some cases that works to their benefit.  Other times.... heh

No comments:

Post a Comment