Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Monday, April 20, 2009

Day 8: CRC Medical and Equipment Draw

Today was pretty painful, mostly because past TODs reported being done by 0900. We actually didn't finish up until 1400. The day started very early - I had planned to sleep until 0500 to make breakfast and the 0545 formation, but my roommates decided that 0400 was a good time to get up.

Health care providers, females, and senior NCOs, warrants and officers had priority and went first. When we got to the medical clinic, however, we waited almost 2 hours before we actually started getting screened. The first thing they did was to give us a test to baseline mental acuity and emotional response. The military has started doing this before and after deployments into combat zones mainly because so many soldiers were coming back with undiagnosed brain injuries, mostly from concussions and explosions. Then, we started going through stations for HIV test, DNA, vision, dental, etc. Since most of us had already gone through this, much of the process was just verifying paperwork. I did, however, get blood drawn, and 5 different immunizations - lucky me, that was the maximum allowed in one day. I am pretty damn sore in the shoulders now.

More waiting, then we went to draw equipment. Today, most of the stuff we drew was recoverable, meaning we could use it, but then will have to turn it in after we get back. A lot of this stuff was pretty neat because it had changed since I last deployed in 2001. The helmets are much lighter and don't inhibit hearing. No more LBEs -- these are all modular harness systems to be worn with body armor. Finally, the cold weather clothing and sleeping bag system is all synthetic and modular, so light and packable. I had a memo allowing me to decline a lot of this, but drew everything except the large rucksack, because I expect to go on missions outside base and want to have stuff just in case.

I was hoping to link up with Kevin O, who is still down here, but he was still spending time with Laura until 5pm, so I caught up on a little sleep. At dinner, I spotted a rather portly and cheery MAJ wearing the patch of the unit replacing the 10th. Turns out that MAJ BS had been recalled for his second tour and normally teaches school. He told me about the status of the transition, which was useful. It was also nice to meet another guy going to Basrah.

That evening we had more briefings on laws of war, sexual harassment, and all the other good stuff that JAG lawyers like to talk about. Very painful 3 hours during which (while listening with 100% attention), I managed to write today's blog. So thank the lawyers for today's news update.

2 comments:

  1. Lou--
    I trust you've tested the structural integrity of your new helmet by running it into the wall a few times?

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louie:

    Ouch, THAT is painful--5 hours of processing, esp when you're up at 0400. Patience, virtue or not, you'll have for sure! Hmm, amazing you can annotate everything with such vivid detail. Soon this blog would add up to a weighty memoir. But, for now, I'm leaning on it day after day like food. I always know you've got that journalistic streak for which I'd always been proud and now thankful. Yes, I'm very very proud of you, son! Today, I had my eight metal staples removed from my incision and Dr. Hajj said I'll have complete use of my arm in 6-9 months--although right now, it's hanging down like a drag on my body. When the day comes I'll celebrate and treasure my arm--certainly I won't abuse it again. Tonight at church, we prayed for you and Brother Darryl brought a lot of pictures to show his deployment in Korea, Desert Storm and Kosavo. Very interesting and supportive to my heart. I think I'll see some pictures like that from Iraq soon. All my best to you. Remember to anticipate the next line and to look up to God. He will keep you very safe in His own bosom!

    Dad

    Dad

    ReplyDelete