Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Real men loofah



Whoever thinks that there are no new age, sensitive American fighting men take heart...

Last night I went to the showers and came upon this scene that shook me to my very core.

A loofah.

Yes, not a small camoflauge sponge, or a pumice stone, but a large, poofy loofa. The type that comes in a kit with body washes like "strawberry seduction".

As it sat by its lonesome self in the corner, I was struck with two immediate thoughts.

1. Why had it been abandoned by its owner? Was this person a closet loofaher and upon threat of discovery, jettisoned it, hoping that the other person entering the open shower bay would not notice it or that he could pass it off as being the secondhand discoverer ("dude, check out what i found -- how totally gay!")? Or, did this person just tire of his loofah and had moved on to more titillating pursuits?

2. Of all the things a guy could bring to war -- an extra travel size bottle of Head & Shoulders, extra set of boxers, another uniform undershirt, DVDs or CDs, rubbers (ok, well, this one probably not useful) -- why a loofah?

Do any of you guys out there loofah?

4 comments:

  1. I believe Axe now produces an X-treme loofah, so like it or not, it's become part of the lexicon of manliness. this particular version, however, I agree, is just a black sub-species of a girlie face scrubber. real men, of course, just use sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update on this. I discovered that this is apparently not an isolated incident. Shortly after I wrote this, I was in the bathroom and another guy came in with an identical loofah. He was a civilian contractor.

    The next day during a break, I mentioned this story. One of the guys sort of smiled and said, "I use one of those. It's very hygienic" I felt a little embarassed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of a classic commercial -- "But Ironhead...what's with this thingy?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvcjPeuU1E

    ReplyDelete