Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 18: Settling in and getting a feel

I wasn't of too much use on the first day, having gotten only a few hours of sleep after arriving in the wee hours. I did go to the operations center, met a whirlwind of people, then crashed in the afternoon after I found myself rereading the same paragraph over and over.

Since I don't have my computers here (they're in Baghdad), I'm out of the commo loop and had to go online at night when my counterpart was done for the night. I'm heading to Baghdad tomorrow night to meet the other two forward observers there, get my computers and equipment so I can get online, and buy some stuff. The PX here reminded me of a grocery store in Cuba -- the shelves were mostly empty and yet there were still long lines. Compared to this, Victory Base (the main post in Baghdad) should look like a walmart.

1 comment: