Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 48: Almost a trifecta in the Axis of Evil!





So the most interesting destination out of my recent missions in northeast Iraq has been the border area with Iran. This spot, a desolate patch of arid desert, actually used to have fruit orchards, crops, and supported a community of 150 people.

During the Iran-Iraq War, this was the site of some of the bloodiest fighting and all the farmers in the area were either killed or fled. All that is left is some destroyed farm equipment, dangerous holes that used to be wells, and some twisted vehicle chassis. We were there to assess the site and propose a windmill irrigation system that could restore agriculture to the area.

Very close by were a range of small mountains. When I asked what they were, the sheik said that it was Iran. He went on to say that within the past year, Iranians had claimed that the ground we were on belonged to them and was inside their boundary. Though it really wasn't, it's close enough that I'll consider that I've been to Iran. So, all I have to do is visit North Korea when I get back to China (not difficult), and I will have won Axis of Evil bingo.

In 2002, UN Ambassador John Bolton coined the phrase "Beyond the Axis of Evil," adding Cuba, Libya, and Syria to the extended evil family. Since I've only been to Cuba, looks like my next vacation will have to be Libya or Syria...

1 comment:

  1. "Read 10 thousand books and travel 10 thousand miles" so goes the Chinese line. I'm all for it. If possible, why not? Just cross into Iran--not just the war zones, but cover Teharan where Grandpa had been. Then, yes, into Libya. Several movies were made there--very exortic to me. Then cross into North Korea from China. Then, you'd set a record of travel. Just be very careful; those are under strange regimes. All my best,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete