Line of Departure

Musings of a US Army reservist and China expat deployed to Iraq

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wishlist

Time for a shameless request for stuff. Actually, most of these items are office supplies that make it easier to get my job done. I deployed here assuming that I could get these basics from the unit, but that is not true. These guys came without much and I don't want to spend a lot of bargaining chips to have an NCO scrounge for me. And, there's no local purchase, so no going down to the local Staples to pick up stuff we need.

So I don't get tons of the same thing, if you want to pick something up for me off this list, add a comment that says what you're getting so others will know. Call it my Iraqi registry :) Thanks guys!!

Needed list (kind of by priority):

Kevlar helmet band (I have the old dark green style – need the new, lighter color)

Set of bedsheets (size twin) and small pillowcase. Flannel would be super comfy. Otherwise, any old set.

Office 2007, Windows Vista 64-bit (asked Sarah)

Clothes hanging organizer (type that is about 3-4’ tall, has 4-6 sections to put sweaters or shirts in)

  • Coffee (ground)

Post-it notes: small, med, large. Regular rectangle shape

Tape: Scotch tape & 20-30’ of duct tape

Small, light stapler that uses regular staples, but can staple through a lot (like an Staples easy stapler?)

Ripped DVDs of movies (Tris)

Korean seaweed (kind roasted with salt and oil)

Astronaut ice cream. mmmmm

Maiya tang (the maltose like stuff in the container with the pink or orange top) $1 in Chinese supermarkets

Beef jerky

Pork rinds, spicy or BBQ

Whoppers

Highlighters (yellow, green, blue)

Staedtler Lumocolor BLACK permanent pens x 2, bold (chisel point, so can write bold or fine)

Sunscreen (Susannah’s offered)

Sticky flags for marking pages

A small filing system – wire stand, put hanging folders in – can handle about 10-15 folders.

14 comments:

  1. I pulled the movies today and put them in a box. I should be sending them out tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro, kevlar helmet band? Do they sell that at Rite-Aid?

    I can get you all the office supplies but I don't want to muscle in on Sarah's territory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro, kevlar helmet band? Do they sell that at Rite-Aid?

    I can get you most or all the office supplies but I don't want to muscle in on Sarah's territory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can send you office 2007 too but it might be delayed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can get ya a helmet band. I'm assuming you need an ACU colored one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. GK -- yes! S4's got them stashed in a connex somewhere and i'll have to go out in sector soon, so that would be very helpful. Any chance that you could get the name added? The embroidery shop here doesn't have a clue and wouldn't know how to do it and i don't know when I would be getting back to VBC. Would be a great help.

    Ma's got me maiya tang, beef jerky, and post-it notes. And processed peas, though i did not ask for them :)

    Tris -- if the software is virus-free and stable, that would be really helpful. sarah doesn't talk about them, so i don't think she's excited about going to the computer mart to bargain for it. i can also just buy it here in iraq for $15...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my supply list...finally after the delay: sea weed, more beef jerky, pork rind, biscuits, tape, stapler, sun screen, post-it notes, markers & hightlighters. Enjoy!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maj C, Henry sent me this link to your blog. Great stuff. I can send you a ton of the "kim", just let me know what APP/FPO to send it to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nathaniel -- which Henry? Henry H? Shoot me your email by comment - i won't post it

    ReplyDelete
  10. it doesn't look like there's anything left! And Staples doesn't deliver to APOs (I'll have to talk to them about that...)

    If anyone feels up to it, here's the SKU for the file rack:
    Item: 120188
    Staples® Metal Incline Desktop File Sorter, 8 Compartments, Chrome

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting the sticky flags; no duct tape here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More seaweed coming your way! Enjoy!
    Ira

    ReplyDelete